Re: [xmca] Re: Re[2]: Aufforderungscharakter/Valence/Affordance/Lewin/Gibson

From: Michalis Kontopodis <michalis.kontopodis who-is-at staff.hu-berlin.de>
Date: Sun May 25 2008 - 14:01:00 PDT

That is very interesting, Mike and Paolo et al

However I would hesitate to bring the natural-scientific approach of
Gibson so close to that of Vygotsky.

Let's think of an example:

A carpet is soft. It has the affordance to step on it without
producing any noise.

Because of this affordance it INVITES libraries to use it
(Aufforderungscharakter), so that students can work with concentration
even if other students are walking here and there.

I see here two different levels of analysis.

?

Michalis Kontopodis

research associate
humboldt university berlin