Re: [xmca] More on Martin: Consciousness vs knowledge?

From: Mike Cole <lchcmike who-is-at gmail.com>
Date: Sun Mar 09 2008 - 11:45:59 PDT

Thanks Martin. My opening paragraph should have read:

> Martin argues that we should consider LSV's developmemtal theory as a
> the
> development of consciousness, NOT the development
> of knowledge or tool use. I think this might be better approached from
> and
> AND/BOTH, not an either/or position.

You then continue

> ... I'm not opposed to
> treating this as an and/both, except that I think that V was extending the
> Hegelian opposition to the assumption that knowledge is mental
> representation.

This goes back to the just-prior comments of David and my response. Why do
you say this?
You have already argued that consciousness is in the interaction, or emerges
in interaction
and I was trying to grab that to find a way to get comfortable with the idea
that his general
psychology=child history=developmental psychology-as-the Uber psychology cut
off the
 idealist half.

> If I'm right, then V was not offering a social kind of
> genetic epistemology.

Wow. Consciousness is only possible as co-knowledge (so-znanie) but its not
social? Who is the con-spirit-or, or what?

mike