Re: [xmca] More on Martin: Consciousness vs knowledge?

From: Mike Cole <lchcmike who-is-at gmail.com>
Date: Sun Mar 09 2008 - 11:37:53 PDT

David-- As I believe I have remarked before, one of the problems I have in
discussions of "consciousness" is that there are so many uses of the term
and rarely are the meanings-in-particular uses made clear. You write:

*Because it seems to me that if consciousness is merely self-knowledge, the
distinction is not very interesting (I guess I'm a boring person that way).
On the other hand, if consciousness is VOLITIONAL knowledge, ENABLING
knowledge, ENACTABLE knowledge, then I'm interested. *I begin wondering to
myself, is self knowledge/consciousness different from knowledge of being
conscious/ or consciousness of consiousness or o-so-znanie
(about-with-knowing)?
*
*In a note where I was asking Martin's help on a closely related issue, he
referred to something he called (approximately), "simple stimulus
consciousness" which didn't interest him. But this simple
consciousness/knowledge that you see a rock in front of you does interest
me! (And I am clearly boring in THIS regard!). Why am I interested? Because
I believe that the mechanisms of this "simple" form of consciousness REQUIRE
imagination, which is the basis for my interest in the discussion that Luiz
the temporary Parisian brought us to vis a vis mmorgs.That is another rock I
obviously have to
polish if it is going to get noticed and carved into something more
interesting.

Now I need to spend some time thinking about volitional, enabling, and
enactable consciousness, or come to re-mediate my understanding of the
consciousness/knowledge relationship (and hence
my consciousness?).

Just one note on LSV and the people he referred to as primitive. We could
call them small, face to face, hunter-gather societies but its a little
awkward. I need complete reading Bakhurst's piece you pointed to, but just
for now. In talking about the "image-laden" nature of the speech of such
people, LSV drew, as he did in many instances, on Levy-Bruhl. This is an
important topic all its own. But
he more or less quotes LB by writing that "Tasmanians do not have words to
specify such qualities as sweet, bitter, hard, cole, long short, and rount.
Instead of "hard" they say "like a stone," in place of "tall" - "high feet",
"round"=like a ball, and they also add a gesture which explains this.....
This is why in cases where a European man may use one or two words a
primitive man utters sometimes 10.

Later for "pre-logical" etc.

I am not at all sure we disagree at one level, although when we deal in
abstractions such as telelogy and relativism we might think we do and it
might even be that we do, but I am having a very hard
time distinguishing disagreements from failure to recognize we are not
talking about the same thing.
mike