Re: [xmca] latour

From: Martin Packer <packer who-is-at duq.edu>
Date: Sat Mar 08 2008 - 12:06:05 PST

Hi Kevin,

This parallel is exactly what Latour is emphasizing, on my reading. For
Greimas the "actants" may be human but they may also be non-human. Latour
insists that we avoid imposing in advance an asymmetry between human agency
and material causality. All sorts of things, human and otherwise, have
agency. And, just as in good fiction or a fairytale, "actors incessantly
engage in the most abstruse metaphysical constructions by redefining all the
elements of the world." So the kinds of smart agents that you describe would
certainly be part of an ontology. But for Latour pretty much every kind of
object should be considered a smart agent, or can be so under specific
(assembled) circumstances.

Martin