Re: [xmca] ego, self, etc.

From: Andy Blunden <ablunden who-is-at mira.net>
Date: Mon Feb 04 2008 - 21:12:07 PST

Paul, I can't take this up in detail here. I have a way of reading the
master-servant dialectic in the light of reading the preceding works and
the context of the time which is quite different from teh way it is read by
the French, though I have to say that its application to anticolonial
struggles is very appropriate. But still its use at the expense of almost
everything else Hegel ever said in the post-WW2 period is only partly
because Kojeve saw its value as a weapon for the anticolonial struggle, and
partly fortuitous, as I said before, simply because the Hypollite
translation of the PhG in the 1930s, was the first *readable* French
translation of Hegel that had appeared.
My reading of the Master-Servant Section is at
http://home.mira.net/~andy/works/master-slave-commentary.htm with some
explanation about it at
http://home.mira.net/~andy/works/masters-servants-mediation.htm.

Andy