[xmca] Another Textological Question

From: David Kellogg <vaughndogblack who-is-at yahoo.com>
Date: Sun Apr 29 2007 - 16:38:47 PDT

Dear Anton:

  I agree that Chukovsky was an anti-anti-Semite in later life, particularly after his Jewish son-in-law was murdered by the GPU. I disagree that this precludes his having been anti-Semitic in earlier days.

  Of course I agree that I am immature, absurd, ridiculous, etc. So perhaps we'd better stick to the strictly textological approach.

  There's plenty to occupy us there! First of all, according to the biographical references in the Yale edition of Chukovsky's diary (p.586), "Koma" is the father, and not the son. But the same page tells us that Ivanov pere died in 1963, which means that he could not have given a copy of Vygotsky's book to Chukovsky in 1965, as the diary says on p. 507. So it looks like you are right and the biographical refs are wrong.

  Secondly, I am not at all sure what to make of Chukovsky's penchant for recounting the anti-Semitic comments of his peers in his diary. The diary itself does not seem sure what to make of it. Sometimes, Chukovsky is revolted, e.g.