Re: [xmca] What about a new kind of XMCA forum?

From: Andy Blunden <ablunden who-is-at mira.net>
Date: Tue Apr 17 2007 - 20:20:12 PDT

This is a great idea Mike. On-line course delivery must be one of the most
intensively theorised areas in all of science, and when it's XMCA doing it,
my amateurish mind pales into nothingness .... but from my old days as
support stuff for this kind of thing, can I make a couple of observations.

* please keep talking head video to an absolute minimum, maybe for the
hello and goodbye.
* get professional help not only from IT people, but from audio/video
people as well. IT people usually know little about sound and light, except
for how to store and stream it maybe.
* audio in the background supporting text and graphics usually looks more
professional and communicates better than bad video of some old guy in a
dark corner on the other side of the room talking at some point not the
camera. :-)
* "interactivity" is truly problematic for this format, unless you are
going to enroll people as paying students. The benefit is that students can
play things over and over, focusing on the difficult bits, and at their own
pace.
* "interactivity" for on line asynchronous users implies dedicated
production, rather than as a spin off from a local lecture, IMHO
* "interactivity" could mean asking people to move through a powerpoint
display or website as you talk, filling the powerpoint with suitable
graphics and text, of course not distractions from what is being said, like
the same content reduced to dot points :(.

Please, humble apologies for even daring to raise my voice on these vast
topics.
I am sure all these things are old hat and will be taken in a suitably
condescending spirit from those steeped in learning theory. :-)

Andy