Re: [xmca] What about a new kind of XMCA forum?

From: Mike Cole <lchcmike who-is-at gmail.com>
Date: Tue Apr 17 2007 - 20:02:32 PDT

Its up for discussion (and my computer is acting like it has caught a virus,
so this will be short).
Its an open question. We could do 10 lectures as a "course" for those on a
quarter system or 18 for those
on a semster system, or not link it to our regular teaching.

I am in a position to help in a couple of ways.
1) I am in a Comm department and a lot of what I do seems loony but this
would seem like "Communication"
and we have some GREAT IT staff who have supported my amateur efforts.

2) I am senior and old enough so that people here let me teach as seriously
as I possibly can, so I can be
flexible.

3. I am teaching a grad course in the fall which would fit this bill, so I
can nurture several efforts with one body/soul.

My guess is that some will want to get credit. Some will not give a damn. I
am TOTALLY open to ideas. But my
own bias is toward: multivoicedness, interactivity, INTERNATIONALISM, shared
texts to ground discussion, lots of
opportunity to comment, great elasticity of timing and media.

UCSD has some good resources technically./ they have been great to me. But I
am totally lowbrow high tech, so I am sure
others can do better or chip in.

mike