Re: [SPAM] [xmca] Introduction & PhD. assistantships announcement

From: Cathrene Connery <ConneryC who-is-at cwu.edu>
Date: Sun Apr 01 2007 - 18:33:52 PDT

Hi Michael,
Welcome aboard. Do you know Dr. Carol Brandt? She is a new prof at
Virginia Tech as well and someone who would be supportive of your work.
Best wishes,
Cathrene

M. Cathrene Connery, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor of Bilingual & TESL Education
Central Washington University

>>> "Michael A. Evans" <mae@vt.edu> 3/31/2007 8:40 AM >>>
Dear All,

This is my first post to the list, so Mike asked that I introduce
myself...

Currently, I teach in the Instructional Design & Technology Program in
the
School of Education at Virginia Tech (Blacksburg, USA)...my current
crop of
courses includes Multimedia & Cognition, Instructional Multimedia
Design &
Development, and Computer-Supported Collaborative Learning (CSCL)...in
each
of these courses, particularly the CSCL course, I draw from the work
of
scholars in the semiotic tradition including Pierce, Dewey &
Vygotsky...

My current research investigates the interrelationships of
constructionist
pedagogy (i.e., knowledge-building), social organization (e.g.,
collaborative problem-solving), and instructional artifact (e.g.,
virtual
manipulatives) in the early elementary (PreK-3) classroom...I*d be
happy to
hear from others who have similar or tangential interests and hope that
can contribute likewise...

In relation to my introduction, I*m forwarding an announcement
regarding
open assistantships for new Ph.D. students in our program for Fall
2007...if
you know of someone who might be interested, I would appreciate your
passing
this along...please find the announcement below the signature...don*t
hesitate to contact me if you have additional questions...

Looking forward to participating on the list!
Michael~

--
____________________________________
Michael A. Evans

We are seeking the most highly qualified applicants to fill these
assistantship positions as students in a rigorous, well established,
and
highly respected IDT doctoral program. To qualified candidates who
continue
to make adequate yearly progress in the degree program, the Virginia
Tech
IDT program offers:

1) Three years of graduate assistantship funding*
2) Assistantship assignments enabling doctoral students to develop
knowledge
and skills in key IDT areas such as:
    - Distance learning
    - Faculty development and support in technology integration
    - Funded IDT research projects
3) Generous travel funding for participation in IDT-related conferences
(In
recent years, $800 per year per student for presentations; $300 per
year per
student for attendance)

Act now! For Fall 2007 admission, applications are due no later than
June
15, 2007.

Interested applicants should review the following Web links for more
information about the Virginia Tech IDT doctoral program and for
admission
requirements:

IDT doctoral program information:
http://www.soe.vt.edu/idt/programs.htm

IDT doctoral program admission requirements:
http://www.soe.vt.edu/idt/doctoral/admissions.htm
After reviewing these Web sites, qualified applicants may seek
additional
information concerning admission to the IDT doctoral program by
contacting:
Dr. Barb Lockee
IDT Program Area Leader
(540) 231-9193
lockeebb@vt.edu

*Successful candidates will receive a stipend and full tuition for the
academic year. Graduate assistants are expected
  to work 20 hours per week and can hold no other outside employment.