Re: [xmca] Types of internalisation

From: Martin Packer (packer@duq.edu)
Date: Thu Mar 15 2007 - 14:34:25 PST

Joao,

I don't have the Spanish translation, but chapter 5, titled "Genesis of
Higher Mental Functions," starts on page 97 in the English translation (in
the Collected Works), so it's about 10 pages later.

This is the chapter where Vygotsky gives the example of the child's reaching
movement becoming a pointing gesture (p. 104-5) (used in Mind in Society).
But he doesn't call this internalization; instead he says it can be
described "using Hegel's analysis" and that it shows how "through others we
become ourselves."

On page 117 he's talking about the transition from "external" to "internal"
as a 'revolution," and internal here seems to mean "a certain internal brain
process." There are three kinds of revolution, "seam type," "revolution of
the whole," and then my xerox copy ends!

I think what he's calling 'seam type' here he also called 'stich type'
elsewhere.

Martin