Re: [xmca] Fwd: social spaces

From: Mike Cole (lchcmike@gmail.com)
Date: Sat Mar 03 2007 - 13:12:50 PST

Hi Jennifer, Steve et al.--

We are coming down to the end of a difficult quarter and it has been hard to
find,
ugh, the space (?), to comment in this discussion.

What the discussion so far has highlighted for me is my own lack of
reflection about
the use of the term, "space," when it is used to refer to a configuration of
discourse,
or a discursive practice. I had little difficulty understanding Kris
Guitterez's use of the
term in her classroom examples. I would have to go back to see the extent to
which
there are spatial reconfigurations that accompany the occasions when
teachers and
students enter into a qualitatively new kind of discourse that she refers to
as third spaces.
I just never stopped to think if it was a metaphorical use of terms or not.

I know Kris is preoccupied with family health problems at present, but
perhaps someone
from her UCLA group could help us out here.

The current paper appears to be pretty intent on specifying more clearly
what a "third space"
entails. (I did not understand the use of the term "idealized" with respect
to Kris's article on
p 214). But in doing so, it raises a lot of questions I had not gotten
around to thinking about
before.

So let me add to the list that Jennifer and Steve have been growing.
1. Is a social space equivalent to participation structure? IRE sequence,
versus, versus.....).
    If not, what does the concept add? If so, how?
2. I find the discussion of material/non-material utterly confusing. The
confusion is highlighted,
    Jennifer, in your most recent response to Steve in which you write (in
small !! part)
   "What if boundaries are marked not by material markers
[walls] but by sound and time and ..........

Now the issue of the materiality of time is almost certainly going to be
contentious, but what
in the world does it mean to say that sound is immaterial? If sound is
immaterial, spoken
language is immaterial. And, I suppose, so is ASL and other hand signed
languages.

 3. What does chronotope, as a concept, add to this discussion? In the
middle of p. 206 there
      is a sort of slippery discussion which begins by asserting that for
Bakhtin, social spaces
      and the discursive practices that are constituitive of them (phrasing
that goes to the
      question what is different between social spaces and discursive
practices), goes on to
      tell us that carnivals enable a "second life." I do not have that
Bakhtin to hand, but is it
      the case that he uses the term, social space? Does he think that it
exists in non-matrerial
      forms?

The entire line of research discussed is really interesting, but I get so
tangled up in the theoretical
machinery that I am finding it difficult to understand how the theoretical
machinery enables the
analysis and guides the design of activities.

(For that matter, are third spaces usefully considered as forms of activity
within the overall framework
of school-going activity).

(Plurally confused in so cal)
mike