Re: [xmca] interweaving and intersubjectivity

From: Wolff-Michael Roth (mroth@uvic.ca)
Date: Mon Oct 23 2006 - 09:10:04 PDT

Hi, all,

> The idea of culture is a shorthand for some very real and important
> phenomena. But its best, I think, not to appeal to it until AFTER
> we have figured out what is really going on. Long explanations are
> better than short ones.
>
> JAY.

and this is why in my piece that I referred to yesterday, I present
an approach in which culture is viewed as heterogeneous, and even the
individual as heterogeneous, not identical with itself. Therefore
also, the idea of third space needs to be revisited, when it means
that it constitutes the place where two pure cultures get mixed. The
advantage of such an approach is that we can understand why culture--
as multiplicity--is generative, ever changing (evolving?), but also
presupposing and making possible the very invention that we were
oblivious to just a few moments ago, also making it possible that we
understand the most innovative poetry, the new languages Rorty takes
about, and so forth.

Michael