Re: [xmca] interweaving and intersubjectivity

From: Jay Lemke (jaylemke@umich.edu)
Date: Mon Oct 23 2006 - 09:03:27 PDT

Hi, Ana! Many questions indeed. As you know I tend to write messages
that are too long, and keeping that one even reasonably short meant I
could not be as clear as I'd like. I also don't totally understand
just how we do manage to appear to share, when I'm sure we don't really share.

The point I was trying to make, too implicitly, on this, is just that
I don't want us to assume that we start out already sharing a common
"culture" and then make this shared culture a causal agent that
explains how we can cooperate and communicate. That is at least too
simple, and mostly upside down. Bruno Latour in his recent book
_Re-Assembling the Social_ makes a very good case (most a
post-Cartesian one that should be very congenial to CHAT folks) that
it's a serious error for social science to reify macro-social
constructs as explanatory means. He gives a much subtler and more
useful alternative.

So I was trying to say that by achieving coordination (or
inter-articulability, as I sometimes say) we wind up doing the things
that makes it look like we share a culture. And because we have been
doing this within a community, it really does look as if we "share"
something with others in that community that differs from one
community to another. But who are our community? Not all Americans or
Russians. Not all speakers of English or French. But the people we
have actually talked to and worked with, and in an extended network,
the people they talk to and work with, the people we read and write
to, etc. It's a bottom-up construction of community, with "culture"
as a sort of dangerous shorthand, a reification that we use to write
shorter sentences, but which threatens to make nonsense of what we say when do.

Nationalism in the 19th century (especially German, but also Russian,
Italian, American, and many others) created an ideology of "shared
culture", "shared language" (forgive me for quoting the latter day
version, but "Ein Volk, Ein Reich, Ein Fuerher" which also presumed
one race, one blood, one language, and a lot of other nonsense). We
forget today how much this is still with us in our thinking. Insofar
as culture is a useful notion, it is not what members of a community
share in common. It is the fact that the different views and
practices of different members of the community (by gender, age,
class, occupation, roles, personal history, etc.) can be seen (from
the "outside" and if you really want to do this) as forming a
coherent system in which there are significant relationships among
these practices. These relationships CAN insure that some members of
the community can cooperate and communicate with others, but they
also often insure that they CANNOT. "Culture" divides us internally,
just as it binds some of us together and separates us from other
"cultures". But even saying this is really misleading as to what is
actually going on. "Culture" is not doing anything. And even the
system of relationships among practices in a community is a
construction by analysts, either for own own community, or for a
different community -- both of which, as you know, are quite problematic tasks.

The idea of culture is a shorthand for some very real and important
phenomena. But its best, I think, not to appeal to it until AFTER we
have figured out what is really going on. Long explanations are
better than short ones.

JAY.