[xmca] reading ability is genetic!? (read this one!)

From: Andy Blunden (ablunden@mira.net)
Date: Wed Sep 20 2006 - 02:58:58 PDT

Can anyone deal with this stupidity:
http://abc.net.au/news/newsitems/200609/s1745337.htm

I haven't read the research and it's not my discipline, but I heard the
Macquarie University guy interviewed on Radio National last year, and his
thesis is based on data comparing the reading ability of kids arriving at
primary school, and presuming that any difference in ability must be
genetic, because there is nothing between birth and arriving at school
which he thinks could affect ability to learn to read. ... or is there so
much of this rubbish about that it's not worth contesting? I mean these
people get government money for purveying this stuff!

Andy