Nardi RE: [xmca] Situated cognition vs. Socio-cultural theory

From: Tony Whitson (twhitson@udel.edu)
Date: Tue Jul 11 2006 - 14:33:09 PDT

see

http://mitpress.mit.edu/catalog/item/default.asp?ttype=2
<http://mitpress.mit.edu/catalog/item/default.asp?ttype=2&tid=11004>
&tid=11004

for a forthcoming book co-authored by Nardi

Maybe MCA should arrange for a reviewer to get pre-publication access to the
text?

Acting with Technology
Activity Theory and Interaction Design
Victor <http://mitpress.mit.edu/catalog/author/default.asp?aid=18320>
Kaptelinin and Bonnie A.
<http://mitpress.mit.edu/catalog/author/default.asp?aid=321> Nardi

Activity theory holds that the human mind is the product of our interaction
with people and artifacts in the context of everyday activity. Acting with
Technology makes the case for activity theory as a basis for understanding
our relationship with technology. Victor Kaptelinin and Bonnie Nardi
describe activity theory's principles, history, relationship to other
theoretical approaches, and application to the analysis and design of
technologies. The book provides the first systematic entry-level
introduction to the major principles of activity theory. It describes the
accumulating body of work in interaction design informed by activity theory,
drawing on work from an international community of scholars and designers.
Kaptelinin and Nardi examine the notion of the object of activity, describe
its use in an empirical study, and discuss key debates in the development of
activity theory. Finally, they outline current and future issues in activity
theory, providing a comparative analysis of the theory and its leading
theoretical competitors within interaction design: distributed cognition,
actor-network theory, and phenomenologically inspired approaches.

Victor Kaptelinin is Professor in the Department of Informatics at Umeå
University, Sweden.

Bonnie A. Nardi is Associate Professor of Informatics in the School of
Information and Computer Science at the University of California, Irvine.