Re: [xmca] Joint mediated Activity

From: Mike Cole (lchcmike@gmail.com)
Date: Sat Mar 18 2006 - 09:11:28 PST

Linda, Donna, ........

I am being dragged willy nilly into the video game world including mmogs
which figure
more and more in my teaching so all of this discussion is very helpful. One
comment you
made, Linda, struck me as of very general applicability but with some
emendation.

You wrote: I suppose that means I think the meaning
is NOT in the tools but in their use, which is
user-defined/appropriated.

I suppose that means I think the meaning
is NOT in the tools but in their use, which is
user-defined/appropriated.

A la wittgenstein, meaning derives from the use of language in use.
That is, from the way that words are positioned in joint, mediated activity.
The way words (tools) are used involves the speaker's choice (given the
circumstances
as interpreted by the speaker) and in this sense, could be said to be
"user-defined/appropriated."

If this kind of translating appears appropriate (e.g. if you choose to
appropriate it!) then what you
are saying is that the principles of meaning making in games are a
sub-genre(?) of meaning making
from a chat perspective.

Does this work?
mike
PS- There is a paper in the Context of Learning book edited by Elice forman
and others several years ago
by Peg Griffen and others that includes a discussion of the way that the
programmer (of then extant
computer games) is a participant in the activity. From what you write, the
forms of programmer participation
as well as user participation in the design of the game medium has expanded
in important ways.

What I think is generally true is that meaning making emerges from the tools
in their use which
is user