RE: [xmca] Observation Tools?

From: Peg Griffin (Peg.Griffin@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Sun Jan 08 2006 - 11:18:29 PST

So I guess the two poles are the "scoring scheme" Mike C. notes would be
problematic (c.f. work Mike, Denis Newman, and I did on "locating" tasks in
experiments and education) and the "observe and pick sample dialogue" that
Shirley F. describes.
My interest is to work with two givens: the observer is primary to the tool;
the measurement (observation) changes the measured.
Some preparation of the observer and the observed situation may bring into
the open the observer's "apprenticeship of experience" (pace Lortie 1975 who
coined -I think- the term but about impacts on teaching not observing). More
public and consensual frames about the educational content (like the
mathematics of tangram) as well as developmental/educational concepts might
make observations and discussions of them less dependent on separate
observers' apprenticeships. What Moll calls "funds of knowledge" is another
way to think of it. If the observer has worked to make a situation for
observation that makes working capital of the observeds' funds, it may be
possible to prevent some sabotage from the gap between observer and
observed. What Cicourel called triangulation is another way to think of it
-- while the actual involvement of the observed in the analysis of the
observation may not always be feasible in CC classes about preschoolers, the
observed preschool students' personae are implicated in the preparation of
the situation for observation.
Peg