Re: [xmca] Intelligent Design decision

From: Debdowningw@aol.com
Date: Fri Jan 06 2006 - 14:47:34 PST

Hi Mike,

Thanks for your very informed comments. I think it important to add that
the approach to and conclusions drawn on the nature of creation and where
evolutionary theory fits (and doesn't) within traditional doctrine varies widely
within both the Jewish and Christian philosophical communities. An
interesting cross-section of opinions and a great resource for me has been Evolution
and Faith, edited by Bas van Iersel, Christoph Theobald and Herman Haring,
published as part of the Concilium series, 2000/1, SCM Press, London. A growing
number of theologians are coming to the conclusion that religious faith is not
meaningful if it is not intimately connected with reality and that science
is providing the opportunity for the grounding of religious faith in an
understanding of the way things really are. Not only is evolutionary theory
compatible with new testament accounts of creation (according to many theologians),
but it goes a long way in explaining some of he more mysterious passages,
like those insisting that God has made us partners in creation. While
scientists are even more reluctant to be open-minded than many theologians, religion
might help explain some of evolution's puzzles. If it is true that all
that we've evolved to be bears a relationship of fit with the environment, how
does evolutionary theory explain the human brain's insatiable hunger for
answers, its aptitude for rational thought, its inclination toward religious
sensibilities, or its capacity for compassion? Isn't it just possible (and
worthy of serious consideration and investigation) that we are evolving towards a
closer fit with an absolute truth, a universal intelligence, a spiritual
world, or a benevolent presence? I happen to believe that scientific facts and
religious insights comprise two different levels of understanding the meaning
of life and that both are necessary if we are to come to a better
understanding and appreciation of the world we live in. So very sorry if this sounds
preachy. I have many conflicting ideas about how this should be approached
critically and respectfully in our schools and it helps me to think out loud
sometimes. Depending on what I read or who I talk to this evening, I may have
a radically different point of view tomorrow!

Peace, Deb

In a message dated 1/5/2006 2:20:37 AM Pacific Standard Time,