Re: [xmca] concept as gambit

From: Victor (victor@kfar-hanassi.org.il)
Date: Thu Nov 10 2005 - 10:18:59 PST

Peter,

First read Andy's Meaning of Hegel's Logic
http://web.archive.org/web/20020125082736/www.marxists.org/reference/archive/hegel/index.htm
Particularly sections VI and VII where he discusses Life, cognition and the
ideal.

Then go to Hegel's Science of Logic and review Section III (The Notion),
Chapter 1 (Life) sections 1645 to 1651 (sections 1652-to 1677 are also
interesting) and Chapter 2 (Cognition) 1677 to 1684
http://web.archive.org/web/20020213010058/www.marxists.org/reference/archive/hegel/works/hl/hlidea.htm

Lenin also has interesting and relevant things to say about Life and
Cognition in his Annotations on Book III (The Notion) of Hegel's Science of
Logic from Lenin's Collected Works Vol. 38 pp. 164 -238.
http://web.archive.org/web/20020223154955/www.marxists.org/archive/lenin/works/1914/cons-logic/ch03.htm

To compare these to Ilyenkov's works I'd suggest looking at Dialectics of
the Abstract & the Concrete in Marx's Capital (1960) Especially Chapters 2
and 3, the first 3 sections.
http://www.marxists.org/archive/ilyenkov/works/abstract/index.htm
And his Dialectical Logic (1974) Section 2 chapters 7, 8, and
9.http://www.marxists.org/archive/ilyenkov/works/essays/index.htm
It's also worth looking at his Concept of the Ideal (1977)
http://www.marxists.org/archive/ilyenkov/works/ideal/ideal.htm from
paragraphs 106 right on to the end.

I hope this helps
Victor Friedlander-Rakocz