RE: [xmca] subjectivity

From: White, Phillip (Phillip.White@cudenver.edu)
Date: Mon Oct 31 2005 - 20:33:14 PST

     i don't know if i'm totally nuts - but, is it possible that Wartofsky provides ways out of the difficulty of subjectivity - and i'm not clearn what the 'difficulty', my head is too half-baked just now - but the Wartofsky's assertion of an epistemology of perception - to which i append this, a recent posting from a colleague:

I wanted to link Wartofksy’s idea that perception is “related to historical changes in the forms or modes of human action” to more empirical and less abstract works.  I recalled Norwood Hanson and his experiments in the 1950s on cultural effects on perception.  He’s the guy who demonstrated, among many other similar examples, that people who play cards will identify a made-up card resembling the King of Hearts with the heart colored black as a King of Spades with high confidence -- presumably because the cultural symbol affects what they attend to and interpret, and hence what they “see”.  His work in the 1950s was important in countering the “pure observation” version of perception underlying positivism.   I went to the internet, searched on Hanson, and found this very straight-forward and interesting site on perception and culture.  I think it is a good accompaniment for Wartofsky, a light antipasto, full of illustrations of “ambiguous figures” and easy to read:

  http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/relativism/supplement1.html

anyway - i'm also wondering about Holland's figured worlds, Bakhtin as a theoretical lens, and her observation of individual innovations that promote change in activities - but the subjectivity is always constructed within perceptions.

       i don't know - maybe the threads i'm suggesting of Wartofsky and Holland are just tangles within this discussion.

phillip