Re: [xmca] ISCAR - Sevilla 2005 -- 1. Marx and dialectics/ discourse/identity and 2. ractice/activity

From: Steve Gabosch (sgabosch@comcast.net)
Date: Thu Oct 06 2005 - 01:59:05 PDT

I appreciate Bill's (bb's) comments on using the appropriate tool for
the job. Bill seems to imply that Marxism is appropriate for certain
kinds of heavy lifting, but other tools are more suited for more
delicate and intricate work. I happen to run into the kind of
situation that Bill uses as an analogy fairly frequently in my line
of work. We use impact wrenches to bolt down and unbolt large steel
plates that hold our clamping fixtures (I work in a large machine
shop that mills the parts (spars) that become the long
infrastructures of jetliner wings). Sometimes a bolt is on too tight
for even an impact wrench to loosen, so we get a breaker bar, just as
Bill suggests to use when needed, to muscle it off. In rare cases
where that amount of force is still not sufficient, we go find a long
pipe that fits over the breaker bar, and apply that extra
leverage. If I follow Bill's reasoning, perhaps Bill would compare
such mechanical extensions of the breaker bar to politically
employing Leninist and Trotskyist extensions of Marxism ... in cases
where the old rulers ... are particularly intransigent ... :-))

~ Steve