Re: breaking away still

From: I.Haket@ppsw.rug.nl
Date: Mon Apr 04 2005 - 06:01:20 PDT

I have no problems imagining a functional reorganization in a sociocultural activity
(consisting of people and artifacts) that includes psychological processes. The activity
changes in a qualitatively different one. Like e.g. concrete and abstract logic in
Piagetian tasks. The sociocultural activity would be - unlike Piaget's perspective - the
whole task people and artifacts included. But I don't think this kind of reorganization can
be easily translated in "development" as distinguished from "learning". Even if you take
"development" as a collective proces. There are different individuals in an activity and
even if some activity system functions on a qualitatively different level, the individuals in
it function different in different situations. (Like you yourself illustrated with your own co-
research in a previous mail.) We could alternatively take the route of following
individual trajectories. I think there lies I problem to. IIf there were to be a functional
reorganization in the structure of individual actions, people would have to take complete
psychological processes away from participating in an activity.

Ini