Re: Butterflies and life

From: David Leitch (dleitch@ucsd.edu)
Date: Sun Apr 03 2005 - 13:45:27 PDT

Mike,

What caught me about your original note about the butterflies (and this
one as well) was the extent to which they exemplified how breaking away
can be part of an unbroken dynamic -- for each individul caterpillar,
the transformation is breaking away, but that breaking is part of an
unbroken cycle for butterflies generally. After all, we expect to see
the butterflies come out in the spring, though not quite as dramatically
as they have around Geisel.
Makes me wonder about the importance of perspective in Prof. Engestrom's
work.

This doesn't get at either the Pope or Mrs. Schiavo (or the poor and
their relationship to life), though.

-Dave