maybe interesting article

From: Peg Griffin (Peg.Griffin@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Fri Dec 10 2004 - 07:40:02 PST

Here's an article by Alison Cook-Sather
www.tcrecord.org/Content.asp?ContentID=11411
Movements of Mind: The Matrix, Metaphors, and Re-imagining Education
Abstract:
Using the popular movie The Matrix to evoke both metaphors for human existence and models for teaching and learning, this article revisits arguments made by educators, philosophers, linguists, and anthropologists that metaphors govern our ways of perceiving, naming, and acting in the world, whether we are aware of this phenomenon or not. Building on this premise and through an examination of two metaphors that have dominated notions of and approaches to education in the United States, the article invites readers to make conscious the metaphors that inform our thoughts and actions, discern the "realities" we construct for ourselves and for others, and imagine the possibility of changing those. The argument made is for seeking, crafting, and embracing metaphors that cast students not only as active participants in their own education but as the principle creators of their education and themselves.

Peg

Peg Griffin
329A Cloverdale Rd.
Montgomery, AL 36104
(334) 265-4468
Peg.Griffin@worldnet.att.net
Research Affiliation: Laboratory of Comparative Human Cognition