Re: A talk with Michael Halliday

From: Phil Chappell (phil_chappell@access.inet.co.th)
Date: Fri Sep 17 2004 - 07:16:09 PDT

As a thought starter, David, I wonder whether Halliday was somehow
re-contextualising his theory for the purposes of second language
learning (assuming the purpose of his visit to Japan was for L2
undertakings)?

But somehow I fear not - and wasn't this the problem that Peter Jones
had with the H-V connection...that H's "protolanguage" that the child
"invents" offers a discontinuity, in the LSV genetic sense?

Somehow I feel a conduit metaphor being infused into your
interpretations of your discussion with Halliday, but I have no
expertise whatsoever in first language development.

An important discussion vis-a-vis building bridges between SFL and CHAT.

Phil