Re: Sleep-learning

From: david.preiss@yale.edu
Date: Mon Mar 22 2004 - 09:35:20 PST

Dear Eugene,

What you say reminds me a lot about incubation processess in insight.
There is a book edited by Robert Sternberg which is call The Nature of
Insigth. There is a chapter there by Czsikzentmihaly that makes
contextual/cultural links with those processes.

David

Quoting Eugene Matusov <ematusov@udel.edu>:

> Dear David-
>
> You wrote,
> > I am not aware of any direct link with sleep. It
> > may not be just an effect of being phisically fresh?
>
> It does not seem to be just being fresh. In the program, they were
> saying
> that people learn after experiencing so-called "fast sleep" but do
> not after
> "slow sleep" (I also remember them talking about eye movements,
> dreaming,
> and certain brain activities during "fast sleeps"). Usually series of
> "fast"
> and "slow" sleep alternate, however more "fast sleeps" occur just
> before
> people wake up "naturally". The study claimed that if a person is
> waked up
> before experiencing many "fast sleeps", he or she shows little
> learning.
> However, if the person experienced many "fast" sleeps, there is
> evidence of
> learning (i.e., improvements of certain tasks). Again, I want to
> remind you
> that their experiments on learning involve very decontextualized
> motor
> tasks. In the program, the subjects were teenagers and the point of
> the
> program was that the teens do not have enough sleep because their
> "natural"
> sleep cycle often shifts to later time in night - late morning (even
> noon)
> and does not fit school schedule that results in inhibiting learning
> because
> they have fewer "fast sleeps". As to feeling fresh, people can feel
> fresh
> with or without experiencing many "fast sleeps".
>
> In research on learning, changes in organism are often not taken
> into
> account. Although, when they are, it tends to be very
> decontextualized
> research from behavioristic and information-processing
> perspectives.
>
> I found some of these studies on the Internet:
> http://coe.sdsu.edu/eet/Articles/sleep_memory/index.htm
> http://216.239.39.104/search?
q=cache:85Wo79RKNdsJ:a1162.fmg.uva.nl/~djb/publ