Re: Reflection and CHAT

From: Jayson Seaman (cb450k@juno.com)
Date: Sun Mar 21 2004 - 07:55:13 PST

Hello:
I appreciate Elina's addition that reflection is itself a constructive
and situated activity. I too am looking at reflection but in the context
of facilitated, small group activities. I have only completed a pilot
study and therefore I only have preliminary ideas at this point, but some
of my own "reflections" lead me down the road Elina points to, and where
I will focus my inquiry as the study unfolds. I can't offer any
particular theoretical insights at this point, but hope that some of my
musings on my own data raise relevant questions.

I appreciate the recognition that reflection reciprocates with action and
I am finding it hard to consider reflection outside the action that
brackets it. One thing I was struck by in my pilot study (and have yet to
figure out) is how little, at times, participants' actions represented
what was previously discussed during collaborative reflection sessions.
In my mind I had pictured a pretty clear correspondence between what was
uttered and ostensibly agreed upon and how people acted subsequently, but
this was rarely the case. However, over time, conscious activity began to
adhere to the verbal agreements (which were rarely explicit, but arose as
people struggled to unify their language--a process guided in large part
by the facilitator) made during reflection sessions, but not without
work--i.e., people explicilty pointing out how certain actions were "in"
or "out of bounds".

Public, structured reflection sessions seem to be (in my construction of
my data) almost a literal "coming to terms." The sessions seem to serve
to interpret previous action and map out domains for future action (even
through discussing past action). The "terms" in this case can easily be
located amidst an institutional narrative that is authored largely by the
facilitator, although subject to variations and emergences of new "micro"
cultural symbols--and perhaps also the site of resistance. I'm
considering the "coming" part to be the achievement of intersubjectivity
around the meanings certain actions hold, so therefore it is hard to say
that the reflection sessions are the source of the meaning, because the
sessions require the fodder of previous and subsequent action.

In the mapping out of domains for future action, what seems to be most
discussed in reflection sessions are not the points of agreement, but the
points of disagreement among the consensual--albeit tacit--meanings that
have arisen. The exploration of these "border areas" seems to be what
animates many of the reflection sessions later in the group's time
together. One of the participants used the term "recalibration" to
describe his experience and this is, perhaps, the best way I can think to
describe it.

Thanks for raising this interesting topic--in fact, it will largely be
the focus of my efforts at the CHAT mini-course in San Diego! As a
relative newcomer to CHAT, I am still struggling to situate my analysis
in CHAT terms, but this discussion helps considerably.

Jayson Seaman
UNH

With regards,

Jayson Seaman