RE: Reflection and change in a CHAT/Cultural Psychology paradigm

From: Carol Macdonald (macdonaldc@educ.wits.ac.za)
Date: Sat Mar 20 2004 - 20:21:53 PST

What are we all referring to when labeling something as reflective? Is
it just metacognition?

[Carol Macdonald] Yes it is, but in the research, the reflective practice
passes from the researcher into the teacher, in a way which would make LSV
happy. The questions is, how much this processes causes the change in the
whole teaching context, including the children method and so on. I
understand metacognition quite well, but don't know how generative it is in
this context. Thanks for the comment.

Quoting Ana Marjanovic-Shane <anamshane@speakeasy.net>:

> Eugene,
> You are puzzling here when you say that reflectivity is an aspect of
> any
> activity and any alive organism (even bacteria). So, how do you
> define
> "reflectivity"?
> Ana
>
> Eugene Matusov wrote:
>
> >Good point, Mike! But, I think your "breakfast actions" are still
> >reflective. Try to talk with people who design robots and they will
> tell how
> >reflective our "automatized actions" (or "operations" cf. Leontiev)
> are...
> >Of course, we talk about different degree and quality of reflection.
> In my
> >view, reflectivity is an aspect of any activity and any alive
> organism (even
> >bacteria).
> >
> >Of course, the issue is whether we care about reflection of a
> specific
> >action. It depends on our purpose as researchers or as educators.
> >
> >What do you think?
> >
> >Eugene

---