Re: hollywood's context

From: david.preiss@yale.edu
Date: Sun Mar 14 2004 - 08:24:16 PST

I think it depends on the movie. A sub-genre worthy of analysis would
be the military ones, mayb specially those movies dealing with Vietnam
or similars. What about Rambo? That is based on a personal psychopaty.
What about Black Hawk Down? There is not reference to why are those
military men doing and only at the end we are told that more than a
thousand Somalians were killed in the fight. What about Kubrick's?
What about the most recent one located in the pre-vietnam war time,
about the English journalist and his American intelligence counter
character (don't remember the name)? What I would say is that, as a
rule, as in mainstream USA psychology, USA movies are commonly less
aware of the role of the historical context if compared with European
and Latin American ones in shaping the characters they depict. There
of course nice exceptions, as Woody Allen. Some people speak about
an "American genre", for movies like American Beauty. What would say
about them?