Re: real and virtual worlds

From: Andy Blunden (ablunden@mira.net)
Date: Sat Jan 03 2004 - 03:11:29 PST

Victor, when I said that "I cannot but see a future in which class
consciousness makes a comeback in some form, changed by the long period of
identity and representation politics" then such a "class consciousness"
would have to be something very different from what Lukacs my have been
talking about in 1923; I am talking about a kind of "negation of negation".

I did not mention "class consciousness" in "For Ethical Politics" because I
thought it would only confuse matters, but that is not to say it does not
exist, but it is facing such dramatic transformation!

While it would be tempting to deny the possibility of a single "agent of
history" to overthrow capital, it is capital, a single agency, which is
currently running the world. "Not capital" does not constitute a clear
ideal, so a movement "against capital" cannot itself form the basis for the
emergence of a new class consciousness. I think class consciousness will be
more of an outcome than a starting point.

Andy