Re: leont'ev: externalization/internalization etc

From: Phillip White (Phillip_White@ceo.cudenver.edu)
Date: Tue Oct 31 2000 - 18:36:56 PST

xmca@weber.ucsd.edu writes:

Peter of Sheffield Hallam University scrobe:

>Friends
>this message has been stewing for a few days as i've been really
>struggling
>both with the book and with the many ideas thrown up in discussion,
>including
>dot's earlier email (and her later clarifications) which provoked a lot of
>interesting debate, and in particular, some issues which are not so easy
>resolve. i wanted to return to the issue of external/internal and
>externalization/internalization (and i've harped on about this before, so
>apologies!). the cultural-historical position is usually expressed as
>follows
>(and indeed vygotsky put it this way): the direction of development is
>from
>social to individual (= external to internal). this way of expressing
>things
>cannot be right (i should stress that i don't think vygotsky actually
>understood it in this way, despite the way that it is expressed).

        Peter - please help me out! i read your posting and then printed it
out and i've read it several times and even now again i reread it, and i
just get lost. is there by chance a story you could tell, some experience
you could relate that would illustrate your ideas here? really, i'm
afraid that i'm just too much in the context of a third grader to
understand what you're writing - and i would like to better understand.

phillip

* * * * * * * *
* *

The English noun "identity" comes, ultimately, from the
Latin adverb "identidem", which means "repeatedly."
The Latin has exactly the same rhythm as the English,
buh-BUM-buh-BUM - a simple iamb, repeated; and
"identidem" is, in fact, nothing more than a
reduplication of the word "idem", "the same":
"idem(et)idem". "Same(and) same". The same,
repeated. It is a word that does exactly what
it means.

                          from "The Elusive Embrace" by Daniel
Mendelsohn.

phillip white