Re: 3 approaches to the notion of agency

Barbara J Smith (bjsmith who-is-at oise.on.ca)
Mon, 30 Oct 1995 20:28:11 -0500 (EST)

Hi Vera,
I unwrapped two of Eugene's messages but not the last one -as I deleted
it by mistake. Here are the other ones if you are interested.

I've asked Eugene to send me the message again - and I can unwrap the
lastest version - It's a tedious job - but the messages are well worth it.

Barb Smith
OISE

>From ematusov who-is-at cats.ucsc.eduFri Oct 27 15:31:02 1995
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 1995 15:21:07 -0700
From: Eugene Matusov <ematusov who-is-at cats.ucsc.edu>
Reply to: xmca who-is-at weber.ucsd.edu
To: "'xmca who-is-at weber.ucsd.edu'" <xmca@weber.ucsd.edu>
Subject: Re: Individual activity

Hello everybody--

Mike recently asked, "Would someone please explain to me what an individual
activity is? Is this term used by Leontiev? Engestrom? Davydov?
This sort of thing often confuses me."

To tell the truth I am confused too. I am confused with the experiments
conducting in the 80s attempting to examine what is better individual or
joint activity as if they can exist separately from each other.
As if the experimenter was not a "collaborator" (or a participant), as Ellice
Forman recently put it on the net.

I found more helpful to use the notion "solo activity." For me, solo and
joint activities are aspects constituting a sociocultural activity. Any solo
activity (or solo aspect of the activity) is embedded in joint activity (or
in joint aspect of activity). In some regard these aspects depend on the
considered time frame: for whatever long solo activity, there is always a
larger time frame that situates it in joint activity and whatever short joint
activity, there is always a small time frame that extracts solo activity. So
far I have found not reason to distinguish "solo activity" and "individual
action" but I'd not be surprised if I find it in the future.

I think also that recent paper by Keith Sawyer on improvisational performance
and product creativity [1995, Mind, Culture, and Activity, 2 (3), 172-191] is
somehow relevant here. Western culture extreme stress on product creativity
seems to overemphasize the solo aspect of any sociocultural activity and
de-emphasize joint aspect. But on the other hand, I'd not go so far in
rejecting solo aspect of activity at all.

Eugene Matusov
UC Santa Cruz