[xmca] My ISCAR

From: Duvall, Emily <emily who-is-at uidaho.edu>
Date: Fri Sep 26 2008 - 00:08:38 PDT

It's hard to pull the week together, to be honest.
So many people, so many sessions, so little sleep... but here goes some
stream of consciousness... perhaps it will encourage others to talk in
more depth.
At some point I would like to talk a bit more about the work that
Tatiana shared with me once I have worked with it a bit.
Truly a gift... thank you for the intro Elina!
~ Em

My ISCAR

Monica, my intrepid and talented grad student, and I find the elevator
to room 4412.
We don't have to walk up four flights!
We think it's four flights...
Home for the next week... :-)

There's Ana...time for wining, dining and...
CHAT-ting!
We see Pooh on the way... they call it Pooh, Ana says..
It's a pile of rocks. We have a landmark.
The Bear.

Monday I sleep and grade my online class;
I thought I'd get out to go kayaking
I say hi to Gordon - I make it out to get a Latte; soy.
Monica was off to CHADOC.
We're up half the night talking.

Tuesday it begins in earnest.
The importance, eh?

Drawing,
Drawing pictures, arrows, squiggles...

Primacy of the word in psychological development
'Seeds of communication' as mother and child smile at each other
Readiness to take culture in... Zinchenko
Sensation/acts integrated through affect...

John-Steiner - the complementarity of cognition/affect
Dialectical relation.
Cole's brain and culture co-construct
What about schooling constructing, schooling as culture
Consequences of schooling
Neurophysiological

Smagorinsky et al...
Arts in core curriculum
Role of affect in writing...
Mahn: Writing Protocol
Writing to Learn
Dialogic interaction, negotiation of meaning, analysis of text
Promotion of conceptual thinking
Allowing students to access the concept in their own language

...ways in, eh?

Putting more faces to names on xmca... Preiss, Connery...

Tuesday night, I head out to sing-along Mama Mia with an old friend from
high school...
I skip Carl's fireside chat...
Later Carl asks me if I prefer singing to Marx?
12 years of choir notwithstanding, I think I'm better off with Marx.

Views of culture influence psychological phenomenon
Cultural psychology should be focused on explanation
Ratner - negative impact of ZPD
Think about the etiquette of race,
Explain the psychology, the perpetuation of oppression

National narrative: Wertsch and the cultural tools that we don't know
are there
How they shape... narrative templates, like a schematic
Narrative power rather than accuracy, but grounded in historical
episodes
Example:
1. Setting: Russia is peaceful
2. Trouble: wonton attack - want to destroy Russian
3. Russia: almost destroyed
4. Russian heroism & sacrifice = victory
Ethnocentric narcissism...

Symbolic tools may not help if you don't know how to use them
Kozulin - must introduce them!
Mediated learning experience: immigrant/minority students learning new
ways
Rigorous mathematical thinking example
Foster internalization of psychological tools
The factory metaphor...

USD
CHAT-ting!
Taking turns in the Israeli army and the ease of switching between
English and Afrikaans...
The trials of living in England if you're not English...
You know, you just can't get a glass of Riesling in California.

It's Thursday so it must be Dynamic Assessment!
And it's a Penn State reunion Thorne...
And then Poehner and Lantolf...
My introduction to Vygotsky.
Iddings talks DA... high stakes testing for ESL students
Poehner talks DA...understanding the object by changing it
Roth talks DA... problematizing... is there something that can be
assessed
Atencio talks DA... try to bring in authentic/world... not just an
analytic lens

Dinner out - we miss the aquarium.
CHAT-ting!
Peter and Leo, Jim and Holbrook, Steve and Matt, and...
Monica and I are up late again, talking, CHAT-ting.
She has to listen to my talk rehearsal.
I should have taped it.

I change it at the last minute...

It's Friday....and MORE DA!
Some issues with scheduling...
Kozulin talks DA...cognitive modifiability with adults, new immigrants,
changing futures
I talk DA... high stakes testing of reading for children with learning
disabilities
Robbins talks DA... zones of potential development
... some issues with technology.... timing
Kotik finds us a room and we gather to talk DA for hours more...
Lantolf and Poehner talk about their training cd...

The Friday night party...
Wolfgang tells me about cortisol levels and ADHD...
Elina introduces me to Tatiana
My Saturday is planned...
International song fest after the conga...

Akhutina and I spend the morning together.
She graciously takes me through her work.
And I see where I need to go next. This is my high point.
I see where I have stopped too soon, both theoretically and practically.
It's the impetus I need to move forward.
The School of Attention materials are so much deeper than our western
ways.
I see how much time we waste.
How superficial the content in our schools seems.
Neuropsychology... Isn't this close to where we began with Cole?

My head and heart are full.
But I manage to catch Rogoff so my cup runnethed over (my grammar
overrunneth)
Did you get the handouts Monica?
And the ethnography...
Hey, there we are, University of Idaho!