RE: [xmca] Vygotsky on Imagination and Creativity [and imitation]

From: Louise Hawkins <l.hawkins who-is-at cqu.edu.au>
Date: Sun Mar 30 2008 - 18:38:19 PDT

I am considering this discussion and the following quote from the
Vygotsky article in relation to the idea of planning future activities.

"This ability to isolate the individual traits of a complex whole is
significant in absolutely all human creative reworking of impressions.
The process of dissociation is followed by a process of change
to which these dissociated elements are subjected. This process of
change or distortion is based on the dynamic nature of our internal
neural stimulation and the images that correspond to them. The
traces of external impressions are not laid down inalterably in our
brain like objects in the bottom of a basket. These traces are
actually processes, they move, change, live, and die, and this
dynamism guarantees that they will change under the influence of
imagination" (p26).

Our own experiences (first type of association between imagination and
reality (p.13)) and the experiences of others, social experiences
(second type of association(p.16)) can be drawn on to plan a future
activity.

Regards

Louise Hawkins

Lecturer - School of Management & Information Systems
Faculty Business & Informatics
Building 19/Room 3.38
Rockhampton Campus
Central Queensland University