Re: [xmca] Vygotsky on Imagination and Creativity [and imitation]

From: Phil Chappell <philchappell who-is-at mac.com>
Date: Sat Mar 29 2008 - 23:39:59 PDT

Thanks for the clarification, Michael. Always interesting metaphors
used by the folks here. I do empathise with you and the finalisation
of your thesis, as that's where I'm at this year: I feel that some
concepts and personalised metaphors become very precious to me! I have
found Baldwin's differentiation between simple and persistent
imitation to be helpful in thinking about internalisation vis-a-vis
language learning. I fear I'm straying from Mike's original intent
here but will end with another quote from Baldwin that gives more food
for thought:

Imitation to the intelligent and earnest imitator is never slavish,
never mere repetition; it is, on the contrary, a means for further
ends, a method of absorbing what is present in others and of making it
over in forms peculiar to one’s own temper and valuable to one’s own
genius. {Baldwin 1906} p. 22

Cheers,

Phil