Re: [xmca] We are all "On the way"

Hi Christine.

I want to pick up on your theme of geneology and the love of
intergenerational scholarship. You wrote:

 yet intertwining with 'reality'  brings in historical development of
'human culture' beyond actuality as co-presence - and in this there is a
labour of love in intergenerationality of scholarship - (as Robert 's post
and the
article he shares shows).

If we are all *on the way* then James Good's article on Dewey's
intergenerational debt to Hegel is a labour of love.
On page 304 of that article Good writes that in Dewey's 1897 lecture he
explored the concept of *absolute spirit*. and interpreted Hegel meant that
"absolute spirit is nothing more than the human race in its historical
development. Rather than a pre-existing ground of being or guarantor of
logical categories, absolute spirit IS an INTERPRETATION of human history.
Absolute spirit is simply a THEORETICAL formulation of the idea of
subjectivity, of individuality, of freedom, which has played so large a
part in the modern consciousness."

Christine, a fascinating footnote [#11] on page 295 I also found
fascinating in discussing the founding of the Glenmore Summer School of the
Cultural Sciences in the Adironack Mountains of upstate New York at which
Harris, Dewey, Josiah Royce, and George Santayana all lectured for several
summers. Harris built a summer cottage for his family at Glenmore, Dewey
built a summer cottage on land he bought across the road from Glenmore.

Christine, as I read this I was reflecting on what actually *mattered* to
these friends who created a *commons* [the Glenmore Summer School]as a way
of supporting each other *on the way*.
Then I reflected on Aristotle's notion of *common sense* as the sense that
develops among the five faculties of sense that create a *common*
perception.

Robert was returning us exploring paradox and contradiction within our
*interpretations*  and *absolute spirit* as interpreted by Dewey is nothing
more than the human race *on the way* in its historical development.  As
late as 1904 Dewey argued Hegel assumed that modern consciousness, with its
focus on subjectivity, individuality, and freedom, is grounded in an
*ethical world* as REAL as the physical FROM which the individual must take
his cue.  In Dewey's pragmatism, he later acknowledged a continuing debt to
Hegel's interpretation of an ethical world. [see page 304 of Good's article]

Larry