Re: [xmca] Jones on Learning under capitalism

Larry, though there is a basis for the conception of "personality types" and they have some role to play in the description of the social changes taking place, I don't think they are the main analytical tool. I can see two ways to go here. (1) the approach of Regulation Theory, which points out that while capitalism is a globally hegemonic mode of production, every country and period solves a number of problems in different ways in respect to each of a number of functional aspects of social life, e.g., the wages system, the social welfare system, the state/political system, the market system, the education system, and so on. In general, these are not indifferent in their ramifications and need to be theorised separately, and (2) the theorisation by means of Activity Theory of the finite range of different relations. In my opinion these relations can be grouped into purchase-and-sale, command-and-obey and critical cooperation (or collaboration properly so-called). No capitalist firm can operate, for example, without using the ancient system of hierarchical direction. And nor could capitalism operate for a day without the production of healthy, sane workers by means of the loving care of collaborative working classs families. I think Activity Theory should pay attention to the systematic investigation of these different modes of collaboration. Altogether we need a more differentiated approach.

Andy

Larry Purss wrote:
Andy, if Zygmunt's analysis is accurate, then gathering pessimism is a
reasonable response to our current arrangements where more and
more relationships are provisional as an adaptation to capitalist rule. How
do we move beyond these liquid arrangements to form personality "types"
which are expressive of yearnings for ONGOING connection and shared
purpose.  The answer cannot be merely epistemological or merely
practical/functional but MUST engage with alternative social ETHICS which
constitute new personality "types".