Re: [xmca] Jones on Learning under capitalism

Andy,  you wrote

And nor could capitalism operate for a day without the production of
healthy, sane workers by means of the loving care of collaborative working
classs families. I think Activity Theory should pay attention to the
systematic investigation of these different modes of collaboration.
Altogether we need a more differentiated approach.

The way Zygmunt is writing about the loving care of healthy sane working
families, I wonder if there is a danger of even this level of intimacy and
collaboration unravelling.  Zygmunt is suggesting that the valuing of
"aesthetic interests" as basic points of reference and orientation
[attributes such as excitement, satisfaction or pleasure] is devaluing
moral commitments that support continuous shared engagements. He refers to
this unravelling as the loss of the public sphere or in my terms a search
for a "new commons"  [page 34 & 35]

Andy, I wonder if we as a culture(s) can continue to nurture and sustain
"the loving care of collaborative working families" within the fragmentary
disruptive social arrangements that Zygmunt is charting in his concept of
liquid modernity. He is suggesting the newer forms of identity reforming
within these fluid arrangements are of necessity valuing aesthetic
interests because we have lost our basic trust in the more durable
valuing of a shared commons.  Zygmunt's writings, because they are
explicitly referencing and developing "moral values" that attempt to
construct "lasting networks of mutual duties and obligations" is helping me
to understand the depth of the struggle that is required. His perspective
requires our imaginations to envision alternatives that are not fragmentary
and PROVISIONAL.

Larry