Re: [xmca] John Shotter in 1995 discussing the link between Wittgenstein and Vygotsky

I believe that John is ascending from empirical philosophy to metaphysics.
All three terms might be considered different perspectives on the same
object.
mike
-----------------------------
Is chiasmic intertwining like this?
Things tell a story. Their parts hang together so as to work out a climax.
They play into each other’s hands expressively. Retrospectively, we can see
that altho no definite purpose presided over a chain of events, yet the
events fell into a dramatic form, with a start, a middle, and a finish. In
point of fact all stories end; and here again the point of view of a many is
that more natural one to take. The world is full of partial stories that run
parallel to one another, beginning and ending at odd times. They mutually
interlace and interfere at points, but we cannot unify them completely in
our minds. In following your life-history, I must temporarily turn my
attention from my own.... It is easy to see the world’s history
pluralistically, as a rope of which each fibre tells a separate tale; but to
conceive of each cross-section of the rope as an absolutely single fact, and
to sum the whole longitudinal series into one being living an undivided
life, is harder. We have indeed the analogy of embryology to help us. The
microscopist makes a hundred flat cross-sections of a given embryo, and
mentally unites them into one solid whole. But the great world’s
ingredients, so far as they are beings, seem, like the rope’s fibres, to be
discontinuous cross-wise, and to cohere only in the longitudinal direction.
Followed in that direction they are many. (W. James, Pragmatism)