Re: [xmca] RE: CHAT/SCT - A voice from the past

My greenish text below your bluish text, Eugene. One of us may have eaten
too much turkey!

Amazingly we are closing the gap!  Things got so bad that I thought you were
talking about DIFFERENCES in that list of characteristics. I will try to
respond to more local polylog in the red text below. (I will bracket with
*   * in case red does not come through). But we might return to that list
and see if it helps us to clearer understanding.

2010/11/27 Eugene Matusov <ematusov@udel.edu>

> Dear Mike and everybody?
>

> Thanks, Mike, for your VERY helpful and interesting replies. It looked like
> I was more committed to my turkey than you to yours! Hahahaha. So, let me to
> reply now, two days after long and multiple eating… J
>

> See my bluish text below, please.

* Yes, I would add those too, but I would do so as the way to open up the
discussion of divesity, "voices" etc.*

> There are other issues, but those two stand out. Both remain relevant to
> this day.
>
> What is your sense of the relations of events within Soviet social
> sciences/humanities to the development of ideas at the time of that
> conference?
>
> Do you mean the 1992 Sociocultural conference in Madrid? I do not remember
> debates there, sorry….*Yes all the above remarks were prepared for the
> Madrid conf.
>
> 2)      I think in your original message, you were alluding that, at least,
> in part the disagreements among the Soviet scholars were caused by their
> political squabbles within the "Stalinist science" (the term that was
> coined
> by Krementsov, I think) or in the "post-Stalinist science". In any case,
> what makes you think that way? Also, do you think that there was any
> "substance" in these debates or not? For example, you wrote, "At the same
>
> time, they criticized Leont'ev for placing too much emphasis on activity as
> external conditions, likening him to a behaviorist
> (Abulkhanova-Slavskaya,1980)." It can be a fluke, but I have noticed that
> some former behaviorists
> became Vygotskians. Mike, can you, yourself, be an example of this pattern?
>

> Three questions there. Hmmm. I need some clarification this time. What do
> you mea*n by “in any case”?
>
> Sorry for the confusion. By “in any case”, I meant in either it was
> “Stalinist science” or “post-Stalinist science” (my tentative term). In my
> view, both you and I know Soviet science, as participants and observants, in
> its “post-Stalinist” time. In my view, and I wonder if some Russian
> historians of science disagree, it is useful to divide Soviet science to
> pre-Stalinist, Stalinist, and post-Stalinist. Recently I had a discussion
> with one interesting Russian educationalist who claims that even now the
> educationalist social science in Russia must be characterized as Stalinist.

 * Perhaps such a designation is helpful for some purposes. I believe
Russian education was pretty authoritarian before Stalin came along. But
that level of concentrated top-down control via terror could not help but
spawn cultural adaptations. Sort of like the question of stages in another
related thread.

What do you refer to when you write “in your original message” ? snippet
> from the article or the context setting message?
>
> The article.
>
> I believe there were political/religious-ideological/careerist/and regional
> contributions to disputes in Soviet psychology that often displayed
> themselves and their alignments.
>
> So, you deny the scientific substance in these debates, don’t you? I
> respectfully disagree with you. From the fact that it can be seen
> ontological basis (that you mentioned) for scientific debates, it does not
> mean that these debates do not have scientific substance.

*No. Re-read what I wrote. Its important. I said that such disputes
contributed to the disputes in psychology. As an editor of a lot of
psychological writing at the time,  many times I simply could not figure out
if an argument (Luria-Vygotsky vs Ivanov-Smolenski) was based on substantive
arguments or not. Moscow/Leningrad, Jew/Russian, Leontiev/Rubenshtein (and
was that a mask for one of the other categories?) and more such conflictual
"nodes" were constantly in operation. I did not/do not understand the fine
points off their arguments well enough to decide.

I have never been able to understand that complex of relationships except in
> simplified terms. The “signocentricism” vs “behaviorist” mud slinging
> behaviors (or were those pies?) have some substance to them. And they have
> some blood curdling terror to them.
>
> From my perspective, it is unhelpful parody to depict Vygotsky as not
> concerned with the world “beyond” or “behind” the sign although it is fair
> to say he did not investigate this relationship in great detail. It is
> equally unhelpful to parody Leontiev as a behaviorist.
>
> This can be a cultural misunderstanding as well (as a possibility). Often,
> Russian way of talking is dramatic based on extreme contrasts and is usually
> not concerned about its focus on accuracy and nuances that are so important
> in the mainstream Anglo way of expression.  For example, among Russian
> scholars, I may say that “Leontiev was a behaviorist!” and my interlocutor
> may understand well what I mean. And I mean that Leontiev was a reductionist
> because of his reductionism of all complexity and diversity of human life to
> activity. Since behaviorists were extreme “vulgar materialists”, by
> comparing Leontiev with behaviorists, I’d emphasize this tendency in him.
> Again, in Russian this trope is culturally legitimate to do as a good claim
> and argument but it sounds at odd in English translation. As famous Russian
> poet Tyutchev wrote, “Expressed thought is a lie” (“Мысль изреченная есть
> ложь”), so truth cannot be found in words (and the authors’ attempts to be
> accurate and nuanced) but beyond the words, in authors’ intentions.
>
> *Yes, I understand this tendency. It is not restricted to Russians. But I
do not interpret Leontiev as you do. I do not understand Activity as
Leontiev did either. At least I cannot tell myself a consistent story I
believe. I came to Leontiev late and incompletely -- the activity discussion
had not come to dominate MGU professional discourse until after my post-doc
there. I mis-represented him somewhat in the 1990's because I was so taken
by his statement about activity "at the weaver's loom" and so on. I did not
key on the example as a manifestation of  an explanatory category but a way
to get "activities" , e.g., situatedness and context into Vygotsky
diachronic theory. Pragmatists Anthropologists, not Marxist philosophical
anthropology led me to (mis?)appropriate activity as related to Vygotskian
theory.

To make matters worse, I do not believe he was a reductionist as you
categorize him-- that is what i took the "behaviorist" smackdown to be,
coming from a student of Rubenshtein in a political atmosphere that linked
behaviorism to American Imperialism, cosmopolitanism, and all sorts of other
potentially dangerous connections. At that time, when people played with
labels, it was serious. (I referred to a man I respected as "eclectic" in
print and scared  him witless, quite unintentionally).

>             I do not understand what you are by pointing out when you talk
> about me starting as a behaviorist and ending with using Vygotsky to think
> with. You think that has some bearing on Leontiev/Vygotsky relationships? Or
> are you making a general point that SCT is structuralist, clean of all taint
> of functionalism and CHAT vice versa? That does not seem possible. What did
> you mean?
>
> Oh, no! I was referring to factual, not judgmental, point. As far as I
> remember (and my “mature memory” can betray me!), several years ago at AERA
> you presented the history of your professional development and you seemed to
> say that you started as a behaviorist by training before going to the Soviet
> Union where you worked with and studied from Alexander Romanovich Luria. Am
> I right? If not, I am very sorry. Another important Vygotskian scholar with
> behaviorist training is Roland Tharp (I hope my “mature memory” does not
> fail me in this case either!)…. Sure, that's true, but I was having
> trouble understanding what it was relevant to. Still unsure.
>

> If my observation is correct, it can suggest some interesting affinity
> between behaviorism and Vygotskian family of approaches (e.g., both are
> functional approaches).
>
> -------------
>
> Whereas …..?? (what is the contrast?)
>
> I already wrote about similarities in my reply to Jorge. Of course, there
> are huge areas of the contrast! I do not mean to say that Vygotskian family
> of approaches is behaviorist, not at all. But I do see some affinity among
> them and common oppositions to structuralism, mentalism, and so on.

Lets go back and start over with this one because I completely upended the
intended interpretation, which Jorge caught.

> ----------------------
> 3)      I have noticed, and I can be wrong, that you want to diminish
> differences in Vygotskian family of approaches rather than explore possible
> differences and differentiations among them. For me, even this posting goes
> along with this tendency. Am I right about that? If so, can you elaborate
> on
> that? Basically, I want to ask you if you PREFER that there are no
> differences rather than you do simply do not see any differences but would
> be EQUALLY HAPPY if the differences really exist.
>

> Here the premise is wrong so there is no point in answering the rest.  I
> specifically DO want to explore possible differences and differentiations
> between them. That is what this discussion is all about!! What are those
> differentiations? (we are talking here of the P&L article focused on L2 but
> the point is general). What is the significance of differences? Are there
> any empirical consequences for the presumed differences? If so, how can
> people productively understand themselves better by better understanding the
> other? Or, would you prefer to disown the fictive family and join with those
> for whom culture is no more than the glove that fits on the hand?
>
> For me, difference in scientific approaches, especially paradigmatic
> differences, are not only empirical but also ontological. For example, many
> debates in language art education between so called “whole language
> approach” and “phonics” are not about empirical evidence and efficiency of a
> particular language instruction, but about differences in cultural values
> and definitions of literacy that are rooted in institutional and even
> political differences.
>
> What do you think?

*I am only now slowly learning how to interpret the notion of ontologies in
this discourse. I agree wholy that questions of differences in cultural
values, definitions of literacy, rooted in (or at least related to)
institutional and political differences are mixed up in these discussions.
This issue requires a special discussion and I have answered at too great
length.*