Re: [xmca] RE: CHAT/SCT - A voice from the past

The family was delayed, the turkey is in the oven and in my text below in
response to Eugene I have tried to supply plenty of questions. My guess in
response to Jorge is yes, there are more differences. One way to externalize
them for examination would be to compare them both with Dewey. I keep hoping
for one of those easy to remember lists about all the ways in which they are
the same and different!

I have placed each of my replies/questions between lines marking it off from
Eugene's note.

mike
-----------------------------
(Eugene starts)

1)      You seem to suggest that the differences between CHAT and SCT as
they
have emerged in the "West" (i.e., outside of former Soviet Union) have been
historically rooted in the Soviet debates. Am I right in understanding of
your point? If so, I'm not sure that it is true or fully true. I want to
hear more from you about your reasoning connecting these two debates.

I was speaking at a conference of people for whom it was true of most
participants (I would say the Editors and all of the plenary speakers) that
tensions around USSR-derived discourse was a central organizing issue. This
included, of course, discord among non-Russians connected with their
relationship to different lines of Soviet thought, from NATO or
Soviet-dominated positions.

Two important early points of general difference among attendees I know were
related to Marxist ideas of history as progress and the relative
marginalization of voices from the southern hemisphere.  Issues of cultural
domination and diversity in two guises.

There are other issues, but those two stand out. Both remain relevant to
this day.

What is your sense of the relations of events within Soviet social
sciences/humanities to the development of ideas at the time of that
conference?

2)      I think in your original message, you were alluding that, at least,
in part the disagreements among the Soviet scholars were caused by their
political squabbles within the "Stalinist science" (the term that was coined
by Krementsov, I think) or in the "post-Stalinist science". In any case,
what makes you think that way? Also, do you think that there was any
"substance" in these debates or not? For example, you wrote, "At the same

time, they criticized Leont'ev for placing too much emphasis on activity as
external conditions, likening him to a behaviorist
(Abulkhanova-Slavskaya,1980)." It can be a fluke, but I have noticed that
some former behaviorists
became Vygotskians. Mike, can you, yourself, be an example of this pattern?

Three questions there. Hmmm. I need some clarification this time. What do
you mean by “in any case”? What do you refer to when you write “in your
original message” – snippet from the article or the context setting message?

I believe there were political/religious-ideological/careerist/and regional
contributions to disputes in Soviet psychology that often displayed
themselves and their alignments. I have never been able to understand that
complex of relationships except in simplified terms. The “signocentricism”
vs “behaviorist” mud slinging behaviors (or were those pies?) have some
substance to them. And they have some blood curdling terror to them.

>From my perspective, it is unhelpful parody to depict Vygotsky as not
concerned with the world “beyond” or “behind” the sign although it is fair
to say he did not investigate this relationship in great detail. It is
equally unhelpful to parody Leontiev as a behaviorist.

            I do not understand what you are by pointing out when you talk
about me starting as a behaviorist and ending with using Vygotsky to think
with. You think that has some bearing on Leontiev/Vygotsky relationships? Or
are you making a general point that SCT is structuralist, clean of all taint
of functionalism and CHAT vice versa? That does not seem possible. What did
you mean?

If my observation is correct, it can suggest some interesting affinity
between behaviorism and Vygotskian family of approaches (e.g., both are
functional approaches).

-------------

Whereas …..?? (what is the contrast?)
----------------------
3)      I have noticed, and I can be wrong, that you want to diminish
differences in Vygotskian family of approaches rather than explore possible
differences and differentiations among them. For me, even this posting goes
along with this tendency. Am I right about that? If so, can you elaborate on
that? Basically, I want to ask you if you PREFER that there are no
differences rather than you do simply do not see any differences but would
be EQUALLY HAPPY if the differences really exist.

Here the premise is wrong so there is no point in answering the rest.  I
specifically DO want to explore possible differences and differentiations
between them. That is what this discussion is all about!! What are those
differentiations? (we are talking here of the P&L article focused on L2 but
the point is general). What is the significance of differences? Are there
any empirical consequences for the presumed differences? If so, how can
people productively understand themselves better by better understanding the
other? Or, would you prefer to disown the fictive family and join with those
for whom culture is no more than the glove that fits on the hand?