Re: [xmca] LSV on the preschool stage

Hi Peter,

Thanks for pointing out this line of work; very interesting. On my quick reading, though, Manfra was asking the children about self-directed speech ("private speech," out loud) rather than about their "inner speech." Here's a clipping:

"Thus, of the children who admitted they were talking and actually did use private speech (N = 30), 16 (53%) said they were talking to themselves. Five-year-olds had the highest percentage of stating the self as the interlocutor (75%) compared to the 4-year-olds (73%) and 3-year-olds (31%)."

This is from "Preschool children's awareness of private speech," Louis Manfra and Adam Winsler International Journal of Behavioral Development 2006; 30; 537

But perhaps you are referring to a different study? I would find it surprising, though, if 4 year olds were both using inner speech and also aware of this use.

Martin