Re: [xmca] Consciousness: Ilyenkov

Andy,

I am thinking about how your perspective on consciousness aligns with Lenin, Ilyenkov, Engels, etc. But first, I want to understand you as clearly as I can.

You are arguing, please correct me if I am wrong, that humans can only know the material properties and social realities of the world by being conscious of them. "What is given to you is consciousness. If you know something, that means that it exists in your consciousness. To know is to be conscious of. So we cannot frame a concept of matter other than derivative from consciousness."

Therefore, you conclude, the material world is "given to us" through consciousness. "Consciousness is what we are given immediately, and the idea of "matter" is derived from that, i.e., the conviction that something else exists."

You explain "Consciousness is what is given to us; matter is what exists outside and independently of consciousness." You point out that after thousands of years of cultural experience, with the help of natural science, Hegelian-Marxian philosophy, Vygotskyan psychology, etc., we are discovering that matter existed prior to consciousness and is reflected in consciousness, and we are beginning to discover the material foundations of consciousness and the role of activity.

Therefore, you conclude, when we discover and learn about the world, we are **deriving** our concepts of the material and social world through consciousness.

Citing Lenin, who you suggest is as an advocate of this idea, you explain "matter is defined as a category *derivative* of "consciousness"".

You summarize your perspective in everyday terms: "The reality is: you open your eyes, you see things, and *then* you question whether what really exists out there (matter) corresponds to what you think exists out there (consciousness). And not only individuals, but humanity as well."
Am I capturing your viewpoint?

- Steve

ps Is The Ideal in Human Activity available in .pdf or word .doc form, Andy? I have the book but could also really use an editable .pdf for highlighting and so forth. I actually do have a pdf file of it, which I think I downloaded from Erythros Press when I bought the book, but when I try to copy passages from this file, all I get are nonsense symbols. I think the same is true of the Leont'ev and the Mescheryakov books. Not sure why I am having that problem ... :-(