Re: [xmca] Consciousness

Because consciousness is what we are given. Everything we know we know only in and through consciousness. Metaphors are impossible here.

By way of a roundabout explanation ...

Natural science is based on the assumption that outside of consciousness there is a natural world, which exists independently of consciousness and prior to consciousness and changes in a lawful way according to laws which are intelligible to us, through our consciousness. I.e., matter is the substance of natural science.

But two things. (1) This works only up to a point. Quantum mechanics, Heisenberg and all that went beyond the limit, and not concsciousness but *activity* had to step in to provide a rational foundation for even natural science, and (2) in the late 19th century, and notably in the "human sciences," this also proved untenable because concepts are not names for things existing in nature, but thought forms through which we grasp nature (a la Kant).

I say this only to point to the fact that when the point of view you are espousing gets into trouble, it has to take a step back and rethink its fundamentals, temporarily abandoning its self-confidence.

Specifically, what you are doing, as I see it, is building a model of the universe in your head, and then testing its validity according to some criteria which we haven't burrowed down to yet.

So for example, you suggest that in an ontological model of the world god-the-scientist could have decided to make animate/inanimate the first distinction. Of course, a system builder can make any distinction they like the first one. But there are objective reasons why in the history of rational philosophy that in which we stand, the first such categorical distinction was the one Rene Descarte made. Why? Because we begin with thought forms and from there we speculate about where they come from, how, if and what may lie out there behind them and then maybe if we want to make animate/inanimate a fundamental distinction.

I go on with this annoying stuff about God's eye views because you are taking a kind of extra-terrestrial model-building, observer standpoint. The reality is: you open your eyes, you see things, and *then* you question whether what really exists out there (matter) corresponds to what you think exists out there (consciousness). And not only individuals, but humanity as well. Now, 300 years down the historical track and further down the logical train of reasoning, quite different questions are posed ... except that every so often your basic categories get thrown into crisis and you have to, so to speak, go back to basics, and rework Descartes' initial problem.

Being and Nothingness: Hegel raised this issue and made it the beginning of his Encyclopedia, but Being and Nothing were both throught-forms. You have to read the Phenomenology to find out where they came from: they came from the real history of thought reflecting on itself; the Logic is the truth of the Phenomenology. And the Phenomenology begins with the history of reflective thought.

The Existentialists, as I see it, take their cue from Husserl, who is only dealing with forms of subjective thought. Hegel at least was dealing with real people and real history and objective thought-forms, however frustratingly idealistically. So when Heidegger and people go at these questions, they are only dealing with thought forms.

Pity that the word "ontology" lost its meaning about 50 years ago. We seem to have forgotten about it in its original meaning.

Does that help?
Andy

Martin Packer wrote:
Andy,

I guess I'm being dense. Why is this THE fundamental question? and not the distinction between animate and inanimate, or the existence of the soul, or the meaning of being, or the distinction between being and nothingness, or...?

Martin