Re: zuhanden/vorhanden Re: [xmca] When does an action begin and end?

How's this for an example?:

On Wed, 19 Aug 2009, Jay Lemke wrote:

Other kinds of texts (literary, poetic, metaphorical, creative,
perverse)
deliberately force readers to slow down and make more conscious choices about probable meanings (Roland Barthes' "writerly" texts, for example).

That's Barthes' exact context for the line that I've been using for more than a decade in my email signature. I don't expect readers to be conscious of that line at the bottom of my message, and I'm not conscious of it myself, except maybe in an instance of being ironically reminded by something in the substance of a message in a thread within which this line has been present, albeit not present-to-mind..

Martin, I understand and don't disagree with your point about at-handedness. My own tendency, though, instead of resisting "Mentalese" by prefering hand to mind, is instead to try reinscribing mind as iself socially carnate and situated in-the-world. And for that, Peirce is very helpful.

Tony Whitson
UD School of Education
NEWARK  DE  19716

twhitson@udel.edu