Re: [xmca] Zone of Proximal Development

Hello Ulvi:

My best interpretation of ZPD is that it should not be viewed as a way to
speed up learning.  It is a tool that can provide instruction ahead of a
child's development but regardless of instruction if the child's
development is not capable of grasping the taught concepts then there is
nothing to speed up.  I think this dovetails nicely into  the discussion
going on regarding the development of "scientific concepts" and "everyday
concepts".  THe everyday concept is formed for the child due to a natural
zpd; while, the "scientific concept" is possibly formed (obviously this is
the debate going on) by the constructed zpd of the classroom.  Perhaps
that clarifies, perhaps not.

what do you think?
eric

ulvi icil <ulvi.icil@gmail.com>
Sent by: xmca-bounces@weber.ucsd.edu
05/29/2009 09:36 AM
Please respond to "eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity"