Re: [xmca] teaching Vygotsky

In all courses I ever taught and teach I use some of Vygotsky's idea:
Neuropsychology; Neuropsycholinguistics; Cognitive psychology; Psychological
aspects of new (second or foreign) language learning and teaching; and for
several times I had special seminars on "The influence of  Vygotsky on
modern psychology and education" (all this in Hebrew and sometimes in
English in 3 different teachers colleges and in 1993-2000 at School of
Education of the Hebrew Un. of Jerusalem)
Bella Kotik-Friedgut

On Fri, May 29, 2009 at 6:58 AM, David Kellogg <vaughndogblack@yahoo.com>wrote:

> I teach one course that is rather stridently Vygotskyan on "Whole Language
> Approaches and Sociocultural Theory", in the fall for our MA in Primary
> English Education. Emphasis is on play, with some criticism of the Whole
> Language approach to Vygotsky current in the USA.
>
> I teach a more laid back Vygotsky course called, rather grandiosely,
> "Intra-mental Knowledge from Inter-mental Skills" for an MA in
> Integrated Subject Teaching in the spring. Emphasis is somewhat more
> theoretical but follows the standard primary English syllabus here.
>
> The undergrads, who normally crack jokes about our poor tennis games,
> referred to my course in Primary English Teaching Methods as "EVP" or
> English for Vygotskyan Purposes". It's a practical class, but they are
> seniors and looking forward with trepidation to the Civil Service Exam for
> teachers (where Vygotsky's a staple). Besides, Vygotsky's ideas about
> CONCEPTS and COMPLEXES and CONCRETE OBJECTS are really the key to
> understanding why we say things like:
>
> T: Do you like DRAGONS? Well, THIS is a dragon. The name of the dragon
> is...DRAGWIN!
> .
> David (Dragwin) Kellogg
> Seoul National University of Education