Re: [xmca] In what sense(s) is mathematics a social construction.?

No FK I am not a Platonist.

We cannot think of or describe nature other than through labour processes of some kind. But this does not imply that there are "nature's labour processes" out there somewhere in a Kantian Jenseits, which we mirror. It simply means that we discover objective limits to our subjective will and this takes the form of activity which is both subjective and objective. This goes back to Fichte strangely enough.

Nominalism and Platonism are not the only choices.

Andy

Ng Foo Keong wrote:
so are you saying that the different forms / brands of maths
(small 'm') of different traditions/civilisations are just
human maps of _The_ Mathematics (big 'm')?

"The maps are not the territory", right?

is there a magic Book, Somewhere Up There, where we can download
all the maths that humans need, and maybe download instant
understanding of maths, so children (and adults) are spared
the pain of trying to work out their understanding of maths?

F.K.