[xmca] Is Mathematics _merely_ socially constructed, or is there something deeper and inevitable?

I think this deserves a new thread.  Let me try to draw out
and assemble the line of discussion that spun off from the
"a minus times a plus" thread.

In her inaugural post to xcma, Anna Sfard about talked "rules
of the mathematical game" among other things.

-----
Then I (Ng Foo Keong) said:-

> regarding structure and agency, arbitrariness:-
> i think now it's time for me to pop this question that has been
> bugging me for some time.  i am convinced that mathematics is
> socially constructured, but i am not so convinced that mathematics
> is _merely_ socially constructured.  if we vary across cultures
> and different human activities, we might find different ways
> in which patterns and structure can be expressed and yet we might
> find commonalities / analogies.  the question i am asking is:
> is maths just a ball game determined by some group of nerds who
> happen to be in power and dominate the discourse, or is there some
> invariant, something deeper in maths that can transcend and unite
> language, culture, activity .... ?

Foo Keong,
NIE, Singapore

-----