[xmca] the unit's crisis

David:

As always a very well thought post.  Vygotsky also believed that successful
teaching was measured differently then successful learning.  They both have
the same goal but different perspectives.  The different perspectives
require that the goal cannot be the unit of analysis; word meaning
addresses this but as you have long proposed, it does not fully address the
dialectic of teaching/lerarning.  The dialectic provides the view that
speaking has its action and the reverse happens at the receiving end with
one specific difference: misinterpretation, a crisis! Therefore the measure
of good teaching lies within the ability to portray distinct meaning and
learning is measured in how the interpretation is applied in action: the
resolution of the crisis!  Whether the learner tests well upon their
interpretation of the teacher's words is irrelevant, the proof is in the
pudding.

eric

                      David Kellogg
                      <vaughndogblack@         To:      "eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity" <xmca@weber.ucsd.edu>
                      yahoo.com>               cc:
                      Sent by:                 Subject: [xmca] Hedegaard Article
                      xmca-bounces@web
                      er.ucsd.edu

                      02/28/2009 01:28
                      AM
                      Please respond
                      vaughndogblack;
                      Please respond
                      to "eXtended
                      Mind, Culture,
                      Activity"

Achilles!

Sorry to change the subject line. I think it is time for these threads to
start to join and transform each other. And I think that the point you make
about the differentiation of lines of development in the Crisis at Seven is
a strategic move in that direction.

Differentiation of the lines of development on the one hand, and
differentiation of the lines of development from the forms of mental life
which they call into being is EXACTLY the right move here. And I think this
is EXACTLY what is wrong with Andy's writing on this text.

if (typeof YAHOO == "undefined") {
 var YAHOO = {};
}
YAHOO.Shortcuts = YAHOO.Shortcuts || {};
YAHOO.Shortcuts.hasSensitiveText = false;
YAHOO.Shortcuts.sensitivityType = [];
YAHOO.Shortcuts.doUlt = false;
YAHOO.Shortcuts.location = "us";
YAHOO.Shortcuts.document_id = 0;
YAHOO.Shortcuts.document_type = "";
YAHOO.Shortcuts.document_title = "Re: [xmca] Microcosm and Unit";
YAHOO.Shortcuts.document_publish_date = "";
YAHOO.Shortcuts.document_author = "ablunden@mira.net";
YAHOO.Shortcuts.document_url = "";
YAHOO.Shortcuts.document_tags = "";
YAHOO.Shortcuts.document_language = "english";
YAHOO.Shortcuts.annotationSet = {
"lw_1235805707_0": {
"text": "
http://marx.org/archive/vygotsky/works/comment/vygotsky-on-development.pdf
",
"extended": 0,
"startchar": 100,
"endchar": 173,
"start": 100,
"end": 173,
"extendedFrom": "",
"predictedCategory": "",
"predictionProbability": "0",
"weight": 1,
"relScore": 0,
"type": ["shortcuts:/us/instance/identifier/hyperlink/http"],
"category": ["IDENTIFIER"],
"wikiId": "",
"relatedWikiIds": [],
"relatedEntities": [],
"showOnClick": [],
"context":
"http://marx.org/archive/vygotsky/works/comment/vygotsky-on-development.pdf ;
 David Kellogg wrote: \u003e Have you got it on the web",
"metaData": {
"linkHref": "
http://marx.org/archive/vygotsky/works/comment/vygotsky-on-development.pdf
",
"linkProtocol": "http",
"linkTarget": "_blank",
"visible": "true"
}
 },
"lw_1235805707_1": {
"text": "David Kellogg",
"extended": 0,
"startchar": 186,
"endchar": 198,
"start": 186,
"end": 198,
"extendedFrom": "",
"predictedCategory": "",
"predictionProbability": "0",
"weight": 0.303982,
"relScore": 5.05474,
"type": ["shortcuts:/us/tag/other/wiki"],
"category": ["WIKI"],
"wikiId": "David_Kellogg",
"relatedWikiIds": [],
"relatedEntities": [],
"showOnClick": [],
"context":
"http://marx.org/archive/vygotsky/works/comment/vygotsky-on-development.pdf ;
 David Kellogg wrote: \u003e Have you got it on the web somewhere? \u003e
At",
"metaData": {
"visible": "true"
}
 }
};
YAHOO.Shortcuts.headerID = "731b218df69ed87de46020a446714e12";

http://marx.org/archive/vygotsky/works/comment/vygotsky-on-development.pdf

I see the same problem arising in the Hedegaard article, where the five
year old, Jens, is analyzed as if he were a seven year old (it's possible,
but as I suggested, there are alternative interpretations that seem more
consistent with the data as given).

This happens because Jens WORDS and his THINKING are not sufficiently
diferentiated. Compare this to Chapter Five of Thinking and Speech,
where complexes and concepts are functionally identical as words but
structurally and genetically different as thinking processes.

Every period of development discussed in Vygotsky's unfinished "Child
Development" after the Crisis at One (Early Childhood, The Crisis at Three,
Adolescence) is differentiated. In fact, it's differentiated in TWO ways.

TIME: First, there are pre-crisis, crisis, and post-crisis periods. This is
true even with very SHORT crises, like birth. The pre-crisis period
corresponds to an attempt by the central neoformation to seize power in the
social situation of development. The crisis corresponds to the necessarily
destructive (or limiting) failure of this precocious, subjectivist,
ADVENTURIST attempt. And the post-crisis period corresponds to a moment of
retrenchment which makes it possible for the next period of more gradual
construction to resume.

LINE OF DEVELOPMENT: As you say, the crisis touches not one line of
development but many. You suggest:

(a) personality and environment... (unit: perezhivanie)
(b) thinking and speech... (unit: word meaning)
(c) psychic development and physics development (...?...)

I would suggest some the following, but this reflects my rather linguistic
bent:

a) material processes
b) verbal processes
c) mental processes

I think where I differ with you is that I see analysis into units as
referring not to the lines of development but to the central neoformation,
that is, the form of mental life that corresponds to the given
developmental period.

That is why Vygotsky uses "word meaning": in word meaning, we find both
imitation and generalization, both social interaction and thinking. These
are aspects of mental life, and are not necessarily found in the material
processes which are so important in earlier periods of development, which I
would characterize as "pre-conscious".

I think that it is probably a mistake to try to use the same unit of
analysis for pre-conscious and for conscious development. The two HAVE to
be qualitatively different. That is where I disagree with Andy and Nikolai.

David Kellogg
Seoul National University of Development